How to Apply to Become a Host Parent
3 weeks to 10 months
As a home-stay parent you are expected to provide the support that you would normally provide for your own family:
- a private bedroom furnished with the following:
- a bed with a proper mattress and bedding
- a desk with a lamp and adequate lighting
- a window that opens
- a closet and set of drawers
- three wholesome meals a day and snacks as required
- a quiet, adequately lit and heated study space
- hot water and facilities for daily bathing
- basic toiletries, such as soap, shampoo, etc.
- laundry (you may expect a student to do their own laundry if you wish)
- emotional support if the student suffers from homesickness, difficulties at school, etc.
- academic support (help with homework if possible, communication with teachers, attendance at parent-teacher-student interview, etc.)
- inclusion of the student in family outings, trips to restaurants, special occasions, recreational activities
- access to the common living areas of the house
- house key
- pickup and drop-off to the airport or ferry
- transportation to and from student activities (host families living in remote areas will be required to provide more transportation)
Homestay Application Process:
- Read the Host-Family-Agreement.pdf
- Read the Host Family Guide
- Fill out and submit the online application
Once you submit the online application it will be sent to our Homestay Coordinators. They will review your application and contact you by email.
- Schedule a home visit and interview with a Homestay Coordinator.
Upon acceptance as a Host Family we require the following:
- Criminal Record Checks for all residents of the home 18 years and older
- Signed Host Family Agreement
- Direct Deposit Form with a void cheque or printout from your banking institution
- 1 digital photograph of the whole family
- 1 digital photograph of the family home
- 1 digital photograph of the student room
Return the Direct Deposit form to us and attach a void cheque or print out from your bank.
You can fax the form and void cheque to 250-655-2735
You can send the form and void cheque in the mail to:
10640 MacDonald Park Rd.
Sidney, BC V8L 5S7